Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tan Rui Sheng's Biodata

I am currently en route to graduating from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree. In the 4 years of my tertiary education, I was given the opportunity to go on an exchange program to Boston University, USA. Having studied in a foreign university, I have been exposed to the different educational structure and teaching styles, as well as interacted with people of different cultures and languages.

Apart from the academic education that NUS has provided me with, I was highly involved in extra activities such as being part of NUS Eusoff Hall's Dance production. I was the dance director of the Dance production where I was in charge of 60 dancers. Being an avid sportsman, I played badminton, sepak takraw, volleyball, softball, handball and swam for Eusoff Hall and took part in the inter-hall competitions. I also played competitive badminton and was the captain of the NUS badminton team, which has taught me both management and organizational skills.

The work experience I have to date include doing an internship at ST Aerospace, where I dealt with the structural defects and maintenance of the Boeing 737-300 series and Airbus A320/321 aircrafts. I also worked as a relief teacher and an educational assistant with Kumon International.

I have a strong interest in sports and my other activities include diving, cycling and playing the piano.

7 comments:

Sze Min said...

Hi Rui Sheng,

Your biodata is really well written which highlights all your non-academic experiences. I believe all these experiences would really set you apart from the crowd.

Perhaps you can also consider including your aspirations and dreams and link it to the work experiences that your had?

Timothy Huang said...

Dear Rui Sheng,

I think that your experience from an Overseas Exchange Programme and internship at ST Aerospace will put you strongly at the forefront as the candidate of choice in any Engineering positions you hope to take up.

Just a suggestion from me: I feel that you could put your best achievements at the beginning of your biodata statement so that you can make a stronger impression to anyone who will be reading it in the future. For example, your internship experience should ideally be in the first two paragraphs to complement your SEP experience.

Good luck to your future endeavours!

GuangYi said...

Hi Rui Sheng

To allow you to stand out in a pack, I agree with Timothy that you could place your more outstanding accomplishments at the forefront.

Just one personal observation, not pertaining to your entry only; but am I taking the 100 word biodata blog post rubrics too seriously? I observed that our classmates seem to be writing long (above 200 words) biodatas.

Like I have mentioned previously (under my blog comment for Steph’s biodata entry), I think it is important to make yourself "pop" within that 100 words or so...

I do feel that you have some good credentials and that will propel you to the front of your cohort upon graduation.

All the best!

Guang Yi

xinyu said...

Hey Rui Sheng,

Your biodata is well written and it gives the impression that you have had impressive working experiences at ST Aerospace, if it is relevant to what you are going to do in future.

To give readers a better deeper understanding of you, maybe you can write about your aspirations and what you are going to do in future.

Shao Bin said...

Hi Rui Sheng,

Short and Sweet.

From your biodata, you had stated clearly your job experiences and your highly active attitude in school.

I agree with Sze Min that maybe you can write on your dreams that link to your work experiences you had. And i believe that you had learnt alot from your internship at ST Aerospace which definitely made a plus point if you are going back there to work?

said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
said...

I share a common stand with the rest regarding your well written biodata. As a reader of this blog entry, the impression that was created was that of you being an all rounder. Being not only an undergraduate that excels at different sports, you have also gained valuable experience in a field (ST Aerospace) related to your area of studies.

However, I share sentiments with Xinyu and Sze Min with regards to your future aspirations and plans. Including these would give the reader a better picture as to how having different experiences over a variety of areas, such as being exposed to different cultures, sporting leadership positions, and work experiences as a teacher could have contributed to your future endeavours.