Sunday, October 19, 2008

Looking back...

Apart from learning that NUS students have a positive attitude on the idea of having a Powernap House, I have had a great time working together with Stephany and Joanna on this project.

Briefly, the way we operated is described as follows. As instructed, we had to submit draft reports of our project at the various stages. For example, when we had to submit our first draft with our introduction up to the methodology, our group split the work up into three parts: the introduction and objectives, the scope and limitations and finally the methodology. When this was done, each of us would take one part, work on it and we would then look at each other's parts, edit and give our comments.

By working this way, we were able to split the work equally among the 3 of us. Not only were we able to achieve the main objective, we were committing a reasonable amount of time for this project and not neglecting our other modules. Also by working on individual parts, we avoided getting in each other's way and helped prevented conflicts. There were times when the work could not be split equally, but this was not much of a problem for us as we took initiatives to volunteer to take on the heavier loads, covering for each other when one of us had other more urgent things to attend to. I would hence like to commend on this as I find it pretty amazing that we could work this well together in a team for us who just got to know each other for not more than 3 months.

On my part however, I feel that I wasn't able to convey certain ideas across well enough, there would always be times when I would not be able to find the right word to use to describe what I was really thinking. From this, I feel that I really need to improve on my command of English and to organise my thoughts before trying to sell my ideas. This is important not only for the upcoming oral presentation but also in the future when I enter the workforce.

On the whole, I must say that working with Stephany and Joanna has been a great experience, we have complemented each other well, with Stephany being resourceful in finding most of the literature reviews and journals, and Joanna with her excellent knowledge of using Microsoft Word and Excel.

5 comments:

Jean Tan said...

It is good to know that you and your group mates actually show care and concern for each other when you and your group mates help each other to cover his/her task when s/he has more urgent things to attend to. I believe this is what good interpersonal relationship is. An effective group needs to have good interpersonal relationship among the group members. What would happen if no one willing to take up the heavier load or help the other members? No work will be done in the end.

I faced the same problem as you as in I also found it hard to convey my ideas to my group members. What I meant may not what they have interpreted. Therefore I need to improve my command of English too. Hope that for the next project, I can convey my message successfully and be able to sell my ideas.

You mentioned about ‘complemented each other’. And I think this is very important in a team. Just like what I have mentioned in my blog, one’s weakness is overcome by another’s strength. It is only through this that a team can perform to its fullest and achieve its aim.

said...

Hi Rui Sheng,

It is indeed fortunate to have helpful teammates who willingly share the burden of the entire project with u. However, I have a different opinion on working individually. While this might eliminate the need to spend time on reaching a consensus amongst all team members, this might actually lead to conflicts as expectations of each team member of the report might be different. Therefore, I would think that discussions are still necessary prior to work allocation.

I am glad that u had a wonderful experience working with the girls. Good luck for your oral presentation.

xinyu said...

Hey Rui Sheng,

It is lucky for you to have team mates whom you can work very well with. It is also really commendable that you really appreciate your team mates and their talents. From your description of how your teammates and you are willing to volunteer for the parts that require more work when you are not as busy and vice versa, it can be seen that teamwork has been effective in your group.

You also humbly pointed out the points in which you feel that you should improve on, which is a good thing to do as constant reflection helps one to improve oneself.

mongshi-ES2007S said...

Hello Madeline’s eye candy!

Actually, I was looking forward to the presentation from your group because I felt that your group had a very interesting topic and in the end, the presentation did not disappoint me.

I have the same problem of not able to convey some of my ideas across during meetings and when I am writing the report due to my limited amount of vocabulary. I am glad to say that after doing so much writing for this module, I feel that my command of English has improved. I hope the same goes to you too.

It’s good to know that you have worked with such wonderful team mates who do not mind taking up more work. I am sure that you had an enriching experience working with them. Good luck for your quiz on Friday!

Mongshi

Joanna said...

Hi Ruisheng,

It is indeed a challenge to form a cohesive project team from the fact that the three of us, Stephany, you and I, have only known each other for barely three months. With the research project being expansive of so many different aspects and scope, managing the workload distribution is really an insurmountable task given our individual commitment of our own core major modules. However, this does not post as much problem as I have predicted as we have gradually build up good rapport with each other and have made work processes smoother.

Do not be disheartened about your inability to organize your thoughts and finding the right word to convey your ideas; this is a problem which plagues a lot of us too. But hopefully, after taking this course, you have a rough idea on how to rectify these inadequacies. It is indeed a blessing that you know where your problems are, because in order to find the correct answers, one has to first know what the question is.