Saturday, August 23, 2008

Why developing effective communication skills are important for me

Communication may seem simple and common sense to most people, but it has many aspects to it that one can learn about that may make a whole world of difference in their personal communication experiences. I used to believe that communication is merely the process of conveying information from a sender to a receiver with the use of a medium. However, after taking 2 lessons from this course, I realize now that there are aspects such as the facial expressions, the body language, the tone used and eye contact etc that could make explicit content conveyed differ from its actual intended message.

I feel that an effective speaker must have a good command of the language with the ability to make the right choice of words while conveying a message either to a person or a group of people. Similarly, a good listener must also have a good command of the language, together with the knowledge of the barriers that prevents one from being an active listener as thought in this course, one could better provide feedback that are unbiased if he or she is able to minimize the effects of these barriers. In both cases of an effective speaker and listener, understanding the nonverbal communication cues play a part in helping one understand better the state of mind of the the person conveying a message or the audience.

I feel that the knowledge of these skills would greatly help me in the future in both formal and informal communicataion as it helps with reducing misunderstandings that arise easily from misinterpreting the nonverbal communication cues. As a person conveying a message, I would also be more sensitive to my tone, my facial expressions, my body language etc. to avoid the possibility of sending the wrong message while communicating. Hence, I feel that developing effective communication skills are really important for me.

4 comments:

Darren said...

Hi ruisheng, my dear hall mate..

I feel that you brought out a very good point that a good listener must also have a good command of the language, together with the knowledge of the barriers that prevents one from being an active listener. This was probably the reason why i have not been doing very well in my modules. LOL..
Thank you for highlighting a shortcoming in me.. Cheers.

GuangYi said...

Hi Rui Sheng

I agree with your opinion of effective communication skills would reduced misuderstandings, as it would help us to be more aware of our non-verbal cues.

I guess when we are better equipped with the appropriate communication skill sets to encode a message, we would be in a better position to received and decode other people's messages.

This would bring about enhanced communication and reduced misunderstandings to the minimal, as mentioned in your closing paragraph.

Cheers
Guang Yi

Alicia said...

Hi Ruisheng,
I do agree with you that nonverbal cues if portrayed wrongly will tend to distort the message the sender is trying to put across. For instance in an oral presentation, if the presenter folds his arms in front of his audience, he would give the impression of being unfriendly. However, the reason of him folding his arms is simply because he was nervous and didn’t know where to place his arms. Hence, it is important for us to take note of our nonverbal cues such as our tone, facial expression and body language to prevent sending the wrong message. Then again by being more aware of these nonverbal cues would we seem too mechanical and subsequently lose our genuineness?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruisheng,

I think along side Alicia and Guang yi that the being equipped with the ability to identify non-verbal cues would be beneficial to one as that would allow one to communication with another in a way that is deemed most appropriate. Alicia’s comment triggered my thoughts, to whether conscious efforts to alter the way we behave and speak before another will actually makes us lose our genuineness eventually. In my opinion, I think that comes as an inevitable part of growing up, where we learn to hide our flaws and flaunt our strengths. In fact, I think that might actually define what professionalism is about. That is to focus and work on our abilities and block out all other personal matters when the occasion calls. Yet, I think that it is only important, that we get to keep our genuineness. We will just have to learn to display it, at the right place and time.